Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 58 - July 18th 2010




Yesterday, I married my best friend.

Yesterday was also my personal midpoint in the 100 Days Project. The photographs I have created for 100 Days thus far have examined the process of becoming part of a married union. My original plan with this project was to use found metaphors and parallels in day to day life to express and narrate my general state of mind as my husband and I prepared for our wedding and marriage.

As I reflect on many of the photographs I realize that while I primarily strayed from my usual method of staged photographs I have stayed true to my cryptic way of using imagery to express emotion. I chose to use titles, many of which were borrowed from poems I wrote for my husband when we began dating, and words that came together as a fragment of an idea meant to lead one to the tone of the photograph.

I believe now I will abandon the titles but continue to create images that express the emotion of the day as my new husband and I travel on our honeymoon around the southwest and midwest and after we return home and begin construction on what will soon be our new home. This project continues to be a celebration of the new, an examination of the familiar merging with the unknown and a document of a very happy time in my life.

Jessica Somers, July 18th 2010

1 comment:

  1. Your work is beautiful, and obviously expresses the joy and celebration in your life. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete