Saturday, August 22, 2009

Day 93 - August 22nd 2009

4x5 tintype in press camera
45 second exposure

This is a photograph of my 5th attempt at making a tintype today - the emulsion on this image is in the process of dissolving and it soon will no longer exist as was the result with the 4 images that preceded it. I've used the same materials, cameras and chemistry I've been using all along and this is yet another strange result with the modern tintype process. I fear my final seven tintypes may be just as fugitive as this one. At day 93 there are still surprises. I guess this result is an appropriate paradox to Steve's 93rd story - there is no predictability here; no expectations to ground myself in nor to become bored with.

I'd also like to thank Rockland Colloid for making a modern tintype emulsion so completely unpredictable that I have finally received the motivation I needed to make my own tintype emulsion from scratch... a project for day 101

1 comment:

  1. While it's still very artsy and I like the effect, I understand your frustration with the medium dependent upon the materials.

    Thankfully you've been able to capture via photo and preserve via the web. Maybe it's time to, as you say, produce from scratch so you know what you're working with.

    ReplyDelete